Wouldn’t you know it, there was a lot of pho fervor this year, especially at Viet World Kitchen! Instead of doing a year-end summary of the most popular recipes on the site, I decided to round up all the pho-related content that published during the past twelve months.
I published tips, tricks, and recipes that go with The Pho Cookbook but also new information to further your pho experience. I fell in love with pho from a young age, and its story and flavors keep unfolding. Hopefully, it’s the same for you, too!
Pho Inside Scoop: Ingredients
- How Artisanal Pho Rice Noodles (Banh Pho) Are Made – A close-up look inside an artisanal pho noodle shop in Vietnam.
- How to Buy Pho Rice Noodles — You’re not cooking in Vietnam so you’ll be using dried or commercially made banh pho. I wrote this primer to help you find and figure out the best noodles for your pho dishes.
- How to Grow Mung Bean Sprouts – This was a fun adventure and the sprouts were super tasting. All you need are some mung beans, a colander, and a t-shirt.
- How to Find Good Bones for Beef Pho – The bones are well, the backbone(!) of a good pho broth. I’m a good shopper and saver. Here’s how I source great bones for fabulous pho.
- Pho Spice Primer – What makes the flavor of pho? Many things but the spices are key. They vary so first figure out what they are and the parameters for using them. It’s not all star anise all the time.
- MSG in Pho and What to Do about It – Many say that it’s not pho without MSG. But do you need it?
Pho Inside Scoop: Techniques
- Pho Myths and Truths: Is it ok to boil pho broth? Is cloudy pho broth evil? Should pho spices be toasted? – The lowdown on making good pho.
- How to make Instant Pot Pho from The Pho Cookbook – There are many pressure cooker recipes in the book and this post tells you how to tweak things for the quirky Instant Pot. Within the article is a recipe for you to try, too!
- How to Host a Pho Party! – Brew up a pot and invite people over to showcase your pho mastery.
- Pho Grilled Tri-Tip – Do this on the grill or in the oven. It’s easy and delicious. Use leftovers for sandwiches or tacos.
- Instant Pot Chicken Pho Recipe – Pho can be done in the cult kitchen appliance of the year!
- Day-After Thanksgiving Turkey Pho Recipe – This was written for the pressure cooker but there’s a regular stockpot version for you to use, as well. Maybe you have Christmas turkey hanging around?
- Pho Garlic Vinegar (Dam Toi) – I love condiments. This simple one from Hanoi is splendid for northern-style pho and general use for whenever you want a tangy, spicy hit of flavor.
- Pho Spice Blend – A great combo of spices to give food and drinks a pho-ish flair. Say that a few times.
- Pho Hoisin Sauce – Your read that right. Make your own and leave that squirt bottle stuff behind.
Pho Family Stories
- An Unexpected Hanoi Pho Lesson – The journey to make The Pho Cookbook was filled with surprises, like meeting a young woman on a flight who invited me to her home for a special pho tutorial and glimpse into life in Vietnam.
- Pho Lessons from My Mom – She was my first pho teacher! We now share pho tips.