I just dragged my luggage out from the garage and am getting ready to fill it up. Later his week, I'll be hitting the road for an incredible book tour. I can’t remember how all of this
started but it was some time in late spring.
Food writer and stylist Nathan Fong asked me, “When are you
coming to Vancouver?” Seattle chef and restaurateur Eric
Banh called and said, “Let’s plan an event for your new book at Monsoon.” Lara Hamilton of Book Larder (a Seattle store
dedicated to cookbooks) and Philip Lee of Readers to Eaters (a pop-up book store) told my publisher that they'd love a tofu event in the
We began conversations about what to do, people who'd be interested in helping me put together an interesting book tour. One thing literally led to another and I was suddenly having conversations with
old and new friends to mastermind some terrific food events.
Hell, yes. Any reason to travel to some of my favorites places: Vancouver's Chinese food scene is one of the best in North America. Seattle is brimming with charming and terrific restaurants and markets. Portland has fabulous food carts (I'm heading to Nong's for chicken and rice), wonderful restaurants and no sales tax.
So we went a little crazy and the result is a packed schedule
of amazing events spanning about 2 1/2 weeks. There are non-profit fundraisers
and signings as well as TV demos,
cooking classes and a restaurant luncheon. Some of these are free while others
have a nominal charge. Here's the city-by-city lineup:
- 9/10-12: Asian Masterclasses, Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks – each class registration fee includes a
book; I'll be teaching Vietnamese, dumplings and tofu, respectively
- 9/12, 4pm: Asian Tofu signing and tasting, Barbara Jo’s
Books to Cooks – free
- 9/10, 8:20am-ish: Breakfast TV
- 9/11, 8:30am-ish:
CTV Morning Live
- 9/12, 8:30am-ish: Global TV Morning News
- 9/15, 4pm: Tofu 101 Talk & Signing, Kobo art space, Higo location - free
- 9/16, 5:30-6:30: Signing, Helping Link Gala – part of the event
- 9/17, 9:30am-ish: King 5 TV, New Day
- 9/17, 6:30-8:30pm: DIY tofu demo & tastes, Book Larder – sold
out, waitlist available
- 9/19, 12pm: Asian Tofu luncheon and wine pairing, Monsoon Restaurant in Capitol Hill
– Books will sold by Readers to Eaters; the 4-course menu
- 9/22, 4pm: Tofu Talk & Tasting, Powell's Burnside – free
I’m delighted because the Pacific Northwest has always been an region with deep Asian culinary roots. Plus, I have fabulous friends in those places that I get to hang out with too.
If you live in these areas,
I hope to meet you soon! If you don’t, wish me luck.
And, if you have restaurant, market, food, etc recommendations, bring them on. I'll add 'em to my hit list and try to check them out.