One of the things that I love to do is teach cooking classes. They’re great opportunities for learning, making new friends, and meeting up with old friends. When Asian Tofu released, I thought I’d be teaching only tofu classes. Turns out that people are interested in Vietnamese food, Asian dumplings, and tofu.
The result is that I am often scheduling classes covering all of my works. It’s really cool, these mini Asian cooking extravaganzas! Depending on your location, you can attend one or all. I can’t afford to travel everywhere to teach so my apologies if I don’t end up in your neck of the woods.
Registration hasn’t opened for everything that I’ve booked. There are many, and I figure it’s easier to list them all at once for you to peruse. If you’re interested in attending something, mark your calendars and check back later. I try to post registration links when they’re available on the VWK classes and events page but sometimes I flub.
At this time, the West Coast schedule of cooking classes looks like this:
Santa Cruz, CA: 4-hour hands-on classes at Love Apple Farm
If you’re in the Bay Area, join me for an afternoon of cooking and eating at Love Apple Farm, a lovely gardening and educational center located in the Santa Cruz mountains. (It’s the biodynamic farm that grows exclusively for Michelin-starred Manresa restaurant.) You’ll get a culinary workout but won’t have to clean up. We divide up into teams to cook through each extensive menu, and then sit down to enjoy our feast. Each class is an engaging cooking party:
- Sun, July 29, 12 to 4pm: Asian Tofu – DIY tofu and a whole tofu menu, from snacks to sweet. Review details & register
- Sat, Sept 29, time TBA: Into the Vietnamese Kitchen – Registration yet to open but the class involves sizzling rice crepes!
- Sat, Oct 20, time TBA: Asian Dumplings – Registration yet to open but prepare for a menu of DIY dumplings from scratch
Get on the Love Apple Farm mailing list to keep tabs on when registration is open for the classes.
Vancouver, BC: Masterclasses at Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks
These are terrific demo classes at BarJo’s renowned cookbook book store in Vancouver. I’ll be working with her staff to prepare the dishes throughout the evening. We’ll discuss cooking techniques, ingredients, and history – whatever you’d like. Registration for each class includes a book; there’s a discount if you sign up for the entire series. Bring your appetites for knowledge and good food to these events:
- Mon., Sept.10, 6:30 pm: Into the Vietnamese Kitchen – favorites from the Vietnamese repertoire
- Tues., Sept. 11, 6:30 pm: Asian Dumplings – dumplings from scratch and shaping techniques too
- Wed., Sept. 12, 6:30 pm: Asian Tofu – includes DIY tofu and a full tofu menu (there will be a book signing earlier in the day for those who can’t make the class)
Check the store’s event page for details. To register, call 604-688-6755.
Seattle, WA: Tofu Workshop at Book Larder
My time in Seattle will be focused on the bean curd. Book Larder is a store that’s all about cookbooks, food and cooking. Owner Lara Hamilton and I have come up with a great event: a two-hour demo and discussion that’ll include DIY tofu and tastings of terrific tofu dishes. Registration has yet to open but mark your calendar for: Mon., Sept 17, time TBA (check the Book Larder site in late July/early August)
If you can’t make the Book Larder class, join me for an Asian Tofu lunch on Wednesday, September 19 at Monsoon restaurant on Capitol Hill. Eric and Sophie Banh are cooking up a four-course tofu menu, which includes wine pairings , all for $35 (exclusive of tax and gratuity). After August 1, you can buy tickets here.
Santa Monica, CA: 3-Hour Hands-on Classes at Gourmandise School
I used to live in Santa Monica and will be going back for several events with the Gourmandise School of savory and sweets, located in The Market at Santa Monica Place shopping center. A cooking school at a shopping center? Yes! The Santa Monica farmer’s market is just a couple blocks down the 3rd Street Promenade. The Gourmandise school invited me to do a free “follow the chef” event at the farmer’s market on October 24. A few weeks later, I’ll be teaching a weekend of classes:
- Sat, Nov. 10, 2-5pm: Asian Tofu – make your own and cook delicious tofu dishes too!
- Sun, Nov. 11, 2-5pm: Vietnamese or Dumplings – we’ve not decided on the topic but it will be one of these.
In September or October, check the Gourmandise School’s site for registration.
I typically sign books at the end of classes, um often while sipping a glass of wine. (Teaching cooking classes take effort!) The cookbooks are always for sale at the event and some people bring their own copy. Before I forget, a couple of signings and tastings:
- San Francisco, CA: Wed, July 20, 6pm at Book Passage (Ferry Building)
- Portland, OR: Sat, Sept 22, 3-4pm at Powell’s (Burnside)
That’s it for now. Whew. I’m going to be a busy girl.