Sriracha Pimento Cheese
Yield 1 1/3 cups
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (1 1/2 to 2 ounces) finely chopped peeled, roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 tablespoons regular mayonnaise or Sriracha mayonnaise/aioli
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Sriracha or other Southeast Asian chile sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated yellow onion
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons fish sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pinches sugar
- Cut the cheddar cheese into small dice, or grate it on the largest hole of a box grater then roughly chopped into a coarse texture. You can do some of both, if you like. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the red pepper, mayonnaise, sriracha, onion, fish sauce (or Worcestershire) and sugar. Dump in the cheese and stir to combine.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to develop flavor, then revisit to taste. Add fish sauce (or Worcestershire) for umami depth. Sriracha for a slight edge of heat. Pimento cheese it not overly hot. It’s a thick, chunky spread, not a dip.
- If you can wait, cover and set aside for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to several days. Enjoy at room temperature and stir things up before using. Use a spreader or something sturdy to scoop the stuff up with. I like all kinds of crackers, potato chips, and celery sticks.
Cuisine Asian American
Recipe by Viet World Kitchen at https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2018/02/sriracha-pimento-cheese-recipe-2.html